And it was GREAT!
I tend to use my mom as a crafting guinea pig – whatever new thing I want to try, I make her that for Christmas (and she hasn’t complained so far!)
This year it’s a lap quilt!
I went to Quintessential Quilts in Morley and they were really helpful. I bought a kit, since I wanted the fabric and pattern ready to go, since this must be posted in a couple of weeks! EEK!
I got this pattern
The lady there said it would be easy to put together, so I liked the sound of that. I learned that you need a feature fabric and two contrasts (flower fabric = feature, purple and green fabrics = contrast 1 and contrast 2).
So I cut 11 2.5″x44″ strips out of my feature and my two contrast fabrics. I then sewed the contrast 1 strip to the feature strip and then those two to the contrast 2 strip. I then cut these strips into 6.5″ x 6.5″ blocks. These are the blocks you sew together to make rows and then sew the rows together!
Phew! This was a lot more work than I had anticipated and you need to be uber precise too so everything fits nicely together. When I finished sewing 2 rows of blocks together and was ready to attach them, I had to make sure the seams would match up exactly.
So, I used a Susan Khalje tip (<3 her!) and sewed just the joins together with a basting stitch and then checked the match. That way, I only had to undo 1″ of stitching if they didn’t match. The basting kinda acted like ‘pins’ when I sewed the rows together, so there wasn’t much shifting during sewing. BIG bonus was I didn’t have to worry about seams matching when doing the final stitching.
It worked great, although I don’t know if it’s the ‘right’ way to do it or not (not being a quilter and all). Here’s a bit of it!
I’m really happy so far, and will post piccies of the final product, which I *better* finish soon.
Until then…Relax and Enjoy,
**UPDATE!! Quilt top done! Now onto basting!