Yesterday Alyssa responded to a shoutout on the BSCPerth Facebook page (do you “like” us?) for more member contributions to be featured here on the blog. WOW! What an impressive contribution – Alyssa sewed A BALL DRESS! And not just any ball dress.. but A SPECTACULARLY GORGEOUS BALL DRESS! Check out the photos, and what Alyssa said about the project, below :)).
Basically it’s a ball dress that I made for a work ball. It’s made from shot silk only $15 a meter! (the cheapest thing i could find that would pull off as “formal”- I was a bit broke at the time).
The top half is from a vintage burda wedding dress pattern, and the bottom half sort of just got made up along the way.
Here’s a photo of the vintage pattern on which the bodice was based (*gasp!* Those pleats!)::
And some photos of the finished product::
It’s not perfect but it worked- (I didn’t include enough “ease” through the bottom half i don’t think). Was meant to have an invisible zip too but that didn’t quite come out as planned as it was too bulky to do up. I didn’t have time to trouble shoot so I just turned it into “a not so invisible ‘invisible’ zip”. Aside from those two little bodgies i was fairly happy with it. I had lots of fun making it and wearing it too!
Alyssa has written more about the inspiration for the dress over on her sewing blog. You can even see photos of the dress “in action” over there too!
Thanks for sharing Alyssa!